Cold Smoked Mackerel Arancini with Aioli Sauce
2 - 4
To prepare the rice:
- Chopped smoked mackerel (skin off)
- 250g of arborio rice
- 200g of brunoise cutted onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 50ml of olive oil
- 1l of boiling water
- 200ml of a good white wine (or dry martini)
- 80g of parmesan cheese
(or Saint Jorge’s cheese – Azorean Cheese)
- 1 teaspoon of saffron – black pepper and salt
To fry the Arancini
- 1 egg
- Breadcrumbs with garlic and erbs
- Flour (optional)
- Oil q.b
For the aioli Sauce
- 5 garlic cloves
- 3 egg yolks
- 800ml extra virgin olive oil
- Lemon juice (from half a small lemon)
- Black pepper
1. First step is to make the smoked mackerel risotto
2. Sauté the onion, the garlic and the smoked mackerel in olive oil. Add the rice and let it sear. Then, add the wine and let the alcohol evaporate.
3. Add the water little by little, always stirring, until it has been absolved and the rice is cooked. Season with the saffron, salt and pepper.
4. Finally, add the cheese, mix it well and check the seasoning.
5. Let it cool down completely before start making the Arancini
6. Mold the Arancini “balls” 2 to 3 cm diameter. If it is too sticky, which normally doesn’t happen if the rice is cold or refrigerated, you can wet your hands a little bit…it will help.
7. After molding the Arancini, whisk a hole egg with a fork and “roll” the Arancini on it and, right after, cover it with the breadcrumbs.
8. Fry the Arancini in very hot oil. Make sure the oil is enough to cover them and that they don’t touch the bottom of the pan. After just a few seconds, the arancini will “float” and become rapidly golden.
9. Removed them and place them on absolving paper.
10. To make the Aioli sauce, begin by confiting the garlic, placing them in a pan with olive oil at a low temperature. It is very important not to allow the olive oil to begin boiling, to keep its properties. When the garlic cloves are golden, keep the olive oil apart and let it cool down to room temperature. Quickly liquify the confited garlic cloves with the egg yolks. Slowly add the olive oil and keep stirring, until a mayonnaise like consistency is obtained. Adding the olive oil gradually is very important.
11. Add salt and pepper as needed. If you want, add some lemon juice.
12. Serve the Arancini with the Aioli sauce and slices of Kumquat and tangerine.